Marilyn Gardner, who I knew as a kid growing up in Pakistan has a wonderful blog called Communicating Across Boundaries. This week I wrote a guest post for her called Living Well Where You Don’t Belong, in which I give 8 tips for doing just that.
Here they are in bullet point form, but please click on over to her site to read them in full.
1. Tolerate ambiguity
2. Remember that change is up to you.
3. Leave your sense of entitlement at home.
4. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
5. View cultural mistakes as learning opportunities.
6. Only ask one ‘why’ question per day.
7. Modify your behavior.
8. Strive to be an ‘acceptable outsider.’